"Before, by yourself, you couldn't. Now, you've turned to our Lady, and with her, how easy!"
--St. Josemaria Escriva

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Lenten Black Bean Burritos

This is an easy dish that can be made ahead (or make 2 batches and freeze one).  It's adapted from a Cooking Light Recipe.

1/2 cup sour cream
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped (I freeze the rest of the peppers in the can to be used later)
1 can of black beans
1 cup of frozen corn
small/medium size flour tortillas (we use whole wheat)
jar of salsa
cheese for topping (Mexican cheese, shredded, or any cheese of choice)
optional: cumin and garlic powder, cilantro, and green onion

1.  Chop up one chipotle pepper and mix with sour cream in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
2.  Take 1/2 can of black beans and mash with masher (or in food processor).  This will provide a creamier consistency to the burrito filling, but isn't necessary.
3.  Mix the mashed beans, the remainder of the black beans, and corn with the sour cream/chipotle mix
4.  At this point, I may season with a little cumin, garlic powder, cilantro if I have it and green onion
5.  Fill each tortilla with a scoop of the bean/corn mix, roll up and put in casserole dish coated with cooking spray (If I make a small batch, I will use 8x8 pan and 4-5 tortillas)
6.  Top with salsa and then cheese
7.  Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until bubbly

We usually eat it with tortilla chips and avocado slices/guacamole and apple slices

No comments:

Post a Comment