I realized that this includes 3 crockpot meals. I don't usually use it 3 times/week, but typically will pull it out on average once/week, sometimes twice. We also usually don't make 7 meals in one week, but rules are rules :) It would be amazing if I cooked at home 7 nights in one week!
Budget: Whole chicken in the crockpot
I buy whole chickens, usually at Sam's, and keep them in the freezer to pull out periodically for this. Using this recipe, I almost always have chopped up "rotisserie" style chicken in the freezer for casseroles, pizza, etc.
1. Rinse the thawed chicken and pat dry. Make sure to remove the giblets.
2. I have started to roll up aluminum foil to put in the base of the crockpot for the chicken to sit on, so that it doesn't sit in it's juice too much--this seems to have left it less greasy, but still moist
3. Rub chicken with favorite spices (I usually use garlic powder, paprika, seasoned salt, pepper, +/- onion powder, thyme, etc). Sometimes I put a couple of pats of butter on top of the chicken.
4. Place it on the foil, turn it on low for about 5 hours (may need longer if you have an old crockpot)
5. After it finishes, I usually will take it out and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to make it slightly more crispy
6. After dinner, I shred the rest of the chicken and freeze in 1-2 cup portions for future recipes. Also, if you want, you can add water to the crockpot and cook on low overnight for homemade stock (strain the next day and freeze in desired portions after it has cooled).
Suggested sides: roasted brussels sprouts or broccoli and mashed potatoes
Quick Fixin': Chicken, Red Grape, and Pesto pizza
This recipe is courtesy of Cooking Light, and is one of our favorites!
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-red-grape-pesto-pizza-10000001918486/
We loosely follow the recipe:
1 pizza dough (make your own, or use refrigerated dough--our choice is Pillsbury thin crust)
cooking spray
1/3 cup of pesto
1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes, roughly chopped
1-2 cups of chopped rotisserie chicken (I use reserved chicken from the whole chicken in the crockpot)
a few cloves of garlic, chopped or sliced
mozzarella cheese (shredded or sliced)
Parmesan cheese (shredded)
green onions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Spread dough on a cookie sheet coated in cooking spray, then pre-bake for 5 minutes
3. Spread pesto evenly around dough
4. Spread chicken, grapes, and garlic evenly over pesto. Top with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with parmesan and green onions
5. Cook for 10 more minutes (or according to the package directions on the dough)
Serves 2-4 depending on portion size
Serve with side salad
Ethnic: Kielbasa and Cabbage with Pierogies
This is also a family favorite :). It's adapted from the following recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kielbasa-and-Cabbage/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=40154417&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2010-07-10&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipe&me=1
4 slices of bacon
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs sugar
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 to 3/4 head of cabbage, chopped (I usually chop in shreds)
1 lb of Kielbasa sausage, sliced
1. In a large, deep skillet (that can be fitted with a top), fry bacon until done and set aside. Reserve drippings
2. Stir water, sugar, onion, minced garlic, pepper flakes and salt into bacon drippings
3. Add cabbage and gently stir. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes
(I often add chopped carrots when I add the cabbage to cook with it)
4. In a separate pan, I brown the Kielbasa to enhance the flavor
5. Add kielbasa to the pan with the cabbage. cover and cook 10-15 minutes longer
6. Crumble bacon over the top and serve hot
Makes about 6 servings
Serve with apple slices and chedder and onion pierogies (we use Mrs. T's brand that you can get in the freezer section: http://www.pierogies.com/retail/products/products.aspx)
Crockpot Meals: Teriyaki Chicken
2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (can use bone in, but I prefer to trim the skin)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
6 TBS cider vinegar
3/4 tsp of ginger (originally recipe calls for ground ginger, but I use fresh grated or minced ginger and use the same amount because I really like ginger)
3/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tsp cornstarch
3 tsp water
hot cooked white rice
1. Place chicken in slow cooker (I use my 4 qt slow cooker)
2. In a bowl, mix sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper and pour it over the chicken
3. Cook on low for 3-4 hours (or until done)
4. Remove chicken and skim fat from juice; combine cornstarch and water until smooth and add to the slow cooker and cook another 15 minutes until slightly thickened
5. Serve over hot cooked rice
Serve with: Broccoli slaw (I use the bag kind from Kroger and usually toss with sesame dressing)
Fruit
Family Favorite: Spaghetti Bolognese
I have adapted this recipe and never make it the same way every time, so I'll do my best. Sometimes I use jarred sauce as a base, sometimes I used a large can of crushed tomatoes and go from there. It always makes enough for 2-3 meals, so I freeze the sauce in meal size portions and freshen up later with diced tomatoes and spices)
1 large jar of sphagetti sauce (usually just use Prego or similar budget friendly brand)
1 lb ground beef
1/2-3/4 quarter pound Italian sausage (I use ground or sliced links, depending on my mood--and reserve the rest of the package for another meal that week)
1 onion, chopped
lots of garlic
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 TBS of sugar (to taste)
1 TBS of red wine or balsamic vinegar (or often I use both)
fresh or dried herbs to taste (usually basil and oregano or Italian seasoning)
1. Brown the meat and onions and add the garlic as the meat is close to done
2. Drain the meat
3. Add the jar of sauce and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil to heat through and then turn it down to simmer
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to taste: sugar, red wine, and the herbs at the end. If I simmer for a long time then I'll freshen up with herbs before serving as well
Serve over preferred noodle type and serve with a side salad and French bread
Comfort Food: Japanese beef curry
Japanese curry may sound strange, but this is so good! It reminds me of home cooked meals from my study abroad in high school, but my entire family loves it, too! You can get the Golden curry at the big krogers or walmart. Typically I get medium, but tried mild the other day and it worked fine (but my kids will usually eat the medium, so I'll stick with that). This is a starchy meal--sort of like an Asian version of shepherd's pie, only easier to make.
1 box of Golden Curry
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
water
frozen peas
chopped carrots (about 2 cups)
2 cups of chopped red potatoes (chopped into bite size pieces) (I'm actually guessing on how much I use here)
hot white rice
1. Boil potatoes and carrots until nearly tender and set aside
2. Meanwhile, brown beef and onion and drain. Set aside
3. In the same pan, place the broken up block of curry and allow it to start melting over low to medium heat, adding water slowly until you have a gravy of desired thickeness (there is suggested amount of water on the package)
4. Add the beef, potatoes and carrots to the curry and stir gently.
5. Add in frozen peas, cover and cook for 5 minutes
6. Serve over hot cooked rice
Serve with fruit
Meatless: Crockpot Pesto Lasagna with Spinach and mushrooms
Adapted from e-meals plan for 2 people (I have increased most of the ingredients to what I think I typically use, but it's just an estimate)
10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thaw and squeeze dry (then I tend to chop it more)
8 oz of sliced mushrooms
frozen onions and peppers blend (found in frozen section at Kroger)
1/2 cup pesto
3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
1.5 cups of small curd cottage cheese
1-2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
25 ounce Jar of roasted vegetable pasta sauce (or preferred sauce)--sometimes I use part of a second jar
10 ounces of no-boil lasagna noodles
1. Saute the mushrooms in some butter and olive oil. Add the frozen onions and peppers and cook briefly
2. Combine the spinach, mushroom and pepper mixture and the pesto
3. Combine mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, egg and 1/2 cup of parmesan
4. Spread some pasta sauce in bottom of a 4 qt crockpot. Add a layer of noodles (about 2, broken to fit), top with cheese mixture and then spinach mixture. Repeat pasta sauce, noodle, cheese, and spinach. On top of this, add 2 more noodles and top with the remaining cheese mixture and sauce.
5. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and cover, cook on low for 5 hours
Serve with green salad and french bread
Anna, your Teriyaki Chicken is on my calendar for the next month! Thank you for sharing it! I can't wait to try all of them--and I DO use my crockpot more than once a week, so the more the merrier, in my book!
ReplyDeleteAnna, your Teriyaki Chicken is on my calendar for the next month! Thank you for sharing it! I can't wait to try all of them--and I DO use my crockpot more than once a week, so the more the merrier, in my book!
ReplyDeleteAnna the kids and I liked the cabbage and sausage dish. We ate it over brown rice and I'm sure Chris will love it too, as he likes anything with sausage!
ReplyDelete