I apologize to all of you strict recipe following chefs! I am not very big on following recipes so these may not be as detailed as some would like.
Family Favorite - Easy Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
Tortillas
Chicken (varying amounts depending on family size)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 block cream cheese
1 sm can green chiles
1 can rotel
1 sm carton heavy whipping cream
shredded cheese
sour cream
Set cream cheese out to come to room temperature.
To make this super easy, use a rotisserie chicken pulled off of the bone and shredded. If not, boil chicken in chicken broth with a little cumin, garlic, and chili powder for flavor.
Shred chicken and stir in cream cheese, chiles, rotel, and black beans.
Put 1/4 cup of filling in easy tortilla, roll, and place in pan. (They squish together, so put in as many as you like.)
When pan is full, pour heavy whipping cream all over and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Bake @ 350 until bubbly and cheese what melted.
Serve with mexican rice.
I use Knorr tomato bouillon with chicken flavor http://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Tomato-Bouillon-Chicken-Flavor/dp/B000VXJFIY
and cumin to season. Mix in veggies of your choice while rice is cooking.
Chicken (varying amounts depending on family size)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 block cream cheese
1 sm can green chiles
1 can rotel
1 sm carton heavy whipping cream
shredded cheese
sour cream
Set cream cheese out to come to room temperature.
To make this super easy, use a rotisserie chicken pulled off of the bone and shredded. If not, boil chicken in chicken broth with a little cumin, garlic, and chili powder for flavor.
Shred chicken and stir in cream cheese, chiles, rotel, and black beans.
Put 1/4 cup of filling in easy tortilla, roll, and place in pan. (They squish together, so put in as many as you like.)
When pan is full, pour heavy whipping cream all over and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Bake @ 350 until bubbly and cheese what melted.
Serve with mexican rice.
I use Knorr tomato bouillon with chicken flavor http://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Tomato-Bouillon-Chicken-Flavor/dp/B000VXJFIY
and cumin to season. Mix in veggies of your choice while rice is cooking.
Crockpot - BBQ Apple Bacon Chicken
Chicken breasts or tenderloins (The amount of chicken and bacon needed will vary depending on your family size)
Bacon
2-3 Granny Smith apples
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
Wrap 2-3 sliced of bacon around each piece of chicken and place in crock pot. Dice or shred apples and mix with BBQ sauce. Pour over top of chicken and cook on high 4ish hours or low 8ish hours.
Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.
*I boil my potatoes in chicken broth and season them once mashed with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix in butter, sour cream, or any of your favorites for loaded mashed potatoes.
Ethnic - Hawaiian Chicken kabobs...................................
Ok, this is about as ethnic as my cooking gets. And I can't seem to find the exact marinade recipe I use for this. I will post it as soon as I find it.
Amounts will vary depending on family size
Chicken cut into bite sized pieces for skewers
Pineapple (fresh or canned) chunked
Green bell peppers, cut into bite sized pieces
Skewers
Marinade
....
Sides
White rice
Broccoli
Saute fresh broccoli in olive oil and a few shakes of soy sauce.
Fast Fixin’ - Mema's 7 Can Soup
Brown 2 lbs ground beef
In large soup pot, mix
- meat
- 2 cans chili beans
- 2 cans minestrone soup
- 1 mixed veggies
- 1 can corn
- 1 can rotel
Simmer until warmed through.
Serve with corn muffins.
*I like to make my cornbread extra sweet to go with this soup. The sweet with the spicy soup is a good combination!
Budget, under $10 - Frito Chili Pie
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning (or equivalent amount of homemade taco seasoning)
1 can rotel (or diced tomatoes with onions and green peppers for a less spicy chili)
1-2 cans of chili beans (depends on how much you like beans)
Tortilla chips or fritos
Cheese
Sour cream
Any other toppings you like (diced onion, jalapeno, etc)
We
tend to eat this by itself or just throw some fresh fruit in a bowl to
go along with it. If you wanted to add a veggie, any kind of steamed
veggie would work.
*Another favorite way to use this is Chili-Mac. I am strange and prefer the cheap brand boxes of powdered cheese mac and cheese.
*Another favorite way to use this is Chili-Mac. I am strange and prefer the cheap brand boxes of powdered cheese mac and cheese.
Make mac and cheese or your choosing according to normal recipe.
Mix preferred ratio of chili and mac and cheese.
Add dollop of sour cream on top. Yummy!
Meatless - Potato Soup
2 cans chicken broth (or homemade chicken stock)
4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 Tbsp white vinegar
Grated carrots to your liking
Grated onions to your liking
2 Tbsp mined garlic
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in pot. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together 4 cups of milk and 3-4 Tbsp flour. Add to pot and simmer for 8-10 minutes
- Add 2 8oz packages shredded cheese or your choice and mix until melted.
- Top with sour cream (and crumbled bacon if not a Friday.)
Serve with crackers.
Comfort Food - BBQ Meatball Subs
MEATBALLS
3 lb hamburger
1 can evaporated milk (13 oz)
1 cup diced onion
2 eggs
2 cups quick oatmeal
2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Mix all ingredients, shape into balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 until done. (I say this because the recipe I was given says @ 350 for an hour...that would burn them! I have no idea how long I usually cook them.)
BBQ Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup diced onion
This obviously makes A LOT of meatballs. You can either cut the recipe in half or make them all and freeze some for later use. To freeze: Let cool after baking, lay out on cookie sheet in the freezer and then transfer to ziplock bag or container of your choice once frozen. (Meatballs are also good in spaghetti!)
For sub sandwiches, pour desired amount of sauce over meatballs and warm in a sauce pan.
Sides:
Steamed veggie or your choosing
Baked beans are always good (I doctor up a can of pork'n'beans with brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and the like.)
Sub sandwich buns
MEATBALLS
3 lb hamburger
1 can evaporated milk (13 oz)
1 cup diced onion
2 eggs
2 cups quick oatmeal
2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Mix all ingredients, shape into balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 until done. (I say this because the recipe I was given says @ 350 for an hour...that would burn them! I have no idea how long I usually cook them.)
BBQ Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup diced onion
This obviously makes A LOT of meatballs. You can either cut the recipe in half or make them all and freeze some for later use. To freeze: Let cool after baking, lay out on cookie sheet in the freezer and then transfer to ziplock bag or container of your choice once frozen. (Meatballs are also good in spaghetti!)
For sub sandwiches, pour desired amount of sauce over meatballs and warm in a sauce pan.
Sides:
Steamed veggie or your choosing
Baked beans are always good (I doctor up a can of pork'n'beans with brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and the like.)
Great 7 can soup!
ReplyDeleteI made your BBQ Apple Bacon Chicken tonight! Delish! Thanks for the easy, kid friendly recipe. I did it with wild rice and peas. . .so yum!
ReplyDelete